It’s no secret that the tech sector is in constant flux, but for some of us it is hard to keep tabs on the industry that is shaping the world we live in. To help those who feel out of the loop here are 5 resources to shine a light onto what’s going on in tech in 2016.
5. Wait but Why
- “New Posts Every Sometimes”
- Quirky posts (with hilarious graphics) from Tim Urban and Andrew Finn about things like AI and humans colonizing Mars. This blog is great for learning the theoretical side of technology, as long as you’re prepared for long form posts. They also tackle subjects like “How to Name a Baby” and “Everything You Don’t Know About Tipping” (a la Freakonomics).
- Elon Musk and his companies are a big source of inspiration for Tim. (Elon had invited Tim to interview himself.) Tim has aggregated all of his Elon Musk posts into a Kindle Book, for those interested buy here.
- As a Canadian firm, we’re compelled to promote some homegrown talent. MaRS is an entrepreneurial incubator based in Toronto focused on the tech industry.
- The team publishes some great content on Healthcare Technology, the Cleantech sector, among others. They also provide some great resources for tech startups including some great workshops for those in the Toronto area.
- Suggested Posts: Transforming Health: Toward decentralized and connected care, Why Smart Transportation Matters: The auto industry and the coming age of disruption
- This is a great podcast that looks into some of the greatest minds in the world today. Tim is a great interviewer, although he may not be the greatest interviewer in the world (he does interview him). Although the podcast does not specifically focus on tech, there are some great episodes that question some of today’s tech leaders. (Tim is based out of Silicon Valley himself.)
- If you’ve ever wondered how apps are revolutionizing education or what Amazon was like in its early days, you can find out on Tim’s show.
- Suggested Episodes: Luis von Ahn on Learning Languages, Building Companies, and Changing the World, Peter Diamandis on Disrupting the Education System, The Evolution of Healthcare, and Building a Billion-Dollar Business.
- In my opinion, Recode is the strongest voice in tech journalism. They publish news, analysis, and podcast interviews among other things. You can learn about the latest acquisitions, product launches, and even some commentary on their news site. The site is great, however Recode’s podcast lineup is what really sets it apart from the competition. For tech newbies, Too Embarrassed to Ask is a great listen to give you what you need to know about the tech sector. For more detailed interviews be sure to check out Recode/Decode, where executive editor Kara Swisher picks the brains of some of the most influential people in tech.
- Suggested Episodes: Too Embarrassed to Ask: Your Questions About Apple vs. the FBI, Answered, Re/code Media with Peter Kafka: Adrian Wojnarowski, Editor of The Vertical
1. Product Hunt
- From it’s about page: “Product Hunt surfaces the best new products, every day. It's a place for product-loving enthusiasts to share and geek out about the latest mobile apps, websites, hardware projects, and tech creations.”
- This site is an Internet aggregator and is the best way to keep up with releases from developers.
- Companies / Developers upload their product and the users upvote each product allowing for the best products to make their way to the top of the list.
- Some of the most popular products introduced include: Slack, Tesla Powerwall, and f.lux
- Visit Here
Thanks for taking the time to read this post. Please be sure to subscribe to our newsletter below.